Collections Search Results

Collection: Historic House
Date: 1917
Classification: Lighting Equipment

The Reception Room's large chandelier is suspended from the second floor ceiling. Made of wrought iron that has been enameled and gilded as well as colorless and colored glass, the device consists of a central torch with large globular glass bulb and thirteen candle lights with paper shades (now reproductions) arranged in two tiers of scrolled arms ornamented with gilded acanthus leaves.

Collection: Historic House
Date: 1917-1918
Classification: Household Accessories

The rectangular gilt-brass box with hinged cover is decorated in relief on the top with a male figure dressed in Roman battle gear riding a lion, holding a banner, and followed by another male figure walking and throwing a spear, all against a background of twisted columns enclosing Mannerist ornaments. At the lower right of the panel is a small figure of a child in drapery seated on a stepped plinth and playing a horn.

Collection: Historic House
Date: circa 1917
Classification: Household Accessories

The rectangular box with hinged cover is covered with gilded brass. The cover has a heavily molded brass frame of lambrequins and beading that encloses a decorative panel of ivory (or pseudo-ivory). The panel is carved with a variety of Renaissance-style ornaments, including trophies, fruits, scrolls, urns, birds, and small faces. A medallion above the center of the panel encloses a scene of a warrior on horseback trampling a prostrate body.

Collection: Historic House
Date: circa 1930
Artist/Maker: Hobson Lafayette Pittman
Classification: Prints

Hobson Pittman began to work with linocut and woodcut prints about 1930, just prior to assuming a teaching position as Director of Art at the Friends Central Country Day School near Philadelphia in 1931. Linocuts were common in classrooms as an easy and inexpensive printmaking process.

No image available
Collection: Historic House
Date: circa 1920
Classification: Food Service T&E

The silver compote, which is one of a pair, is made up of a hemispherical bowl with a broad rim which is pierced and chased with neoclassical ornament, including patera, bellflowers, swags and bowknots, and acanthus leaves in diamonds. The pedestal tapers downward to a domed foot with four clusters of patera and bellflowers.

Pages